Two years ago I signed up for my first marathon with the intention to change my life. A goal this extreme seemed to be the prescription I needed to escape my current state.
Intimidated and excited by the challenge, I put EVERYTHING into training. I read books by ultimate marathon man Dean Karnazes, subscribed to Running World magazine, joined online forums and running groups. I changed my eating habits, stept a full 8 hours each night and overall just dedicated myself to a strict program. While my personal life took a bit of a hit, I fell in love with life in a new way. I was confident, alive, engaged with my senses and emotions, strong, capable and felt rejuvenated. Running became the most healthy addiction.
Four months into training I ran my first half marathon - under two hours and at least 8 lbs lighter! That was it. I was hooked. Two weeks after that I competed in my first sprint triathalon. (All I could think about is how much I preferred running to biking or swimming.) Another three months and I was running the Nike Marathon - unrecognizable from the day I signed up. Not only was I 15 lbs lighter, but I was a more confident person who for once could get behind my decisions.
The day of the marathon was one of the best in my life. I went into it thinking I would prove to myself that I could do anything alone. I came out of it realizing that life isn't about being alone. My sister, my best friend, carried me through the last six miles of that race. At mile 20 I wanted to quit. She was my courage and energy when I had none. Three miles before the finish my best friend met me to keep me going through the final stretch. I finished that race because of these incredible women and realized that life isn't about trying to do everything alone, it's about sharing it with people you love.
For about a year following the marathon I kept up running. I ended up running the LA Marathon the next year along with a 199 relay from Sonoma to Santa Cruz with a team of incredible women - my sole sisters.
It's been two years since my first marathon and a year since the relay. I'm ten lbs heavier, committed to work, but haven't "ran" for months and have lost a bit of my spark as a result.
So here I am. Signing up for my third marathon and using this blog to share the experience.
Today was my first day of training. I ran 5 miles...painful....but it feels good to be starting again.
I'm committed to myself and to anyone reading. I'll use this blog to record my eating, running and overall training plans.
The marathon is about six months, 26 weeks, and 100 runs away.
Time to bring life back!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

awesome kick-off getting back into it, Leia. I can relate to how you feel, and I think we're probably not alone... I imagine many runners, though have felt and know the goodness of running, can find themselves unexpectedly where you(we) are at. Maybe it's a consequence of being a "runner type" person- active and ambitious. With so much going on something's gotta give, why is it always one's self!? Anyways, I'm really excited to read about your experience getting back into it, it'll help me knowing someone else is going through all the same woes :) I really love one line of your post in particular, "...I realized that life isn't about trying to do everything alone, it's about sharing it with people you love". ...Leia Living Life. Running. so true. thanks for sharing yours :)
ReplyDelete"Do not underestimate the intimacy of running, and the people with whom you share your miles." -Kristin Armstrong