While drinking my morning coffee I got sucked into an infomercial for P90X - the latest fitness craze for men and women. It's a 90 day program designed to whip you into shape by confusing your muscles.
NORMALLY, I'd change the channel and walk away, but the compelling testimonials combined with a real-life example (a cousin of mine who reshaped her bod and looks amazing) made it impossible. Two minutes after the commercial ended I purchased the series on Amazon and then two minutes after that I quit my expensive and unused gym membership at Equinox.
While running alone is a great workout, cross-training is essential for your body to sustain a 26-week, marathon training program (a lesson learned after my first marathon). You need to focus on strengthening muscles that aren't being used when you run to keep your body balanced.
The second marathon I rotated running days with pilates, biking, cross-training classes at Equinox etc. and felt 10x stronger for the first 25 miles of my race.
This time around, i'm testing the P90x method. Day 1 starts this Wednesday, April 22. Stay tuned!
And yes, I did tan on my rooftop and do laundry today, in true Jersey Shore fashion. Between the infomercial and the tan I managed to squeeze in a 3 mile walk with a few stair climbs. Eating was sub-par when you count the bottomless mimosas...;)
How do you stay fit?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

GREAT CALL! You will do great on it!! P90x changed my workout philosophy. Couple of huge takeaways from the entire program:
ReplyDelete-strength training really makes a monstrous difference in your shape
-once you define your workout, do it for 3 weeks (3 strength days, 3 cardio)
-every 4th week, you need to have a "rest week" for your muscles, and then you need to hit it hard again with a new routine
Dying to know what you think about X. The first two weeks were rough...my muscles were so sore that my brain was confused most of the time. But I stayed with it (just an hour a day...that's nothing!) and after 12 weeks, I was a new woman. Stronger than ever. Longer leaner muscles. You will too! Good luck!!
I have heard all kinds of crazy stuff about this program too from people I actually know, haha. I'm really interested to hear about how you like it!
ReplyDelete